The Canoe Lake First Nation came into existence when the leaders of their tribe signed Treaty No. 10 in September 1906. It is presently 12,684 hectares in size. The original reserve is located 39 kilometres southwest of Ile A La Crosse. Through a recent Treaty Land Entitlement process, the Canoe Lake First Nation added 5,393 hectares of land to reserve status, this new land is located 40 kilometres from the existing reserve land. The total registered population is 1,482, with 640 residing on-reserve. The language spoken is Cree.
The Canoe Lake First Nation came into existence when Chief John Iron, Headmen Baptiste Iron, and Jerome Couilloneur signed Treaty 10 on September 19, 1906. These Cree speakers occupied a very large region with varied resources. Able-bodied band members lived mostly by hunting and trapping, while the older or feebler members depended upon fish as their primary food source. Their traditional way of life still prevailed in 1954, when the creation of the Primrose Lake Air Weapons Range removed 75% of their most productive lands. The community had not undergone any major change or development since the time of treaty, and even commercial fishing was comparatively recent because of poor access to markets. In 1975, the Canoe Lake Cree Nation (among others) submitted a claim for the loss of their traditional territory; and in 1995 the government accepted the claim, stating that it had no legal obligation but acknowledged there was a need to improve the economic and social circumstances of the community. The claim was settled in June 1997. The band’s population currently sits at 1,764 persons, with 755 residing on their 14,172.6 ha of reserve land (the most populated of which is 37 km southwest of Ile-à-la-Crosse). The band’s economic development includes hunting, fishing, trapping, lumber, a sawmill, and handicraft business. The infrastructure includes an arena, school, handicraft building, sawmill, band office, teacherages, band hall, café, service station, laundromat, and recreation building/pool hall.
by Christian Thompson
Information taken from http://esask.uregina.ca/entr/canoe_lake_first_nation.html
Canoe Narrows, Saskatchewan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canoe_Narrows,_Saskatchewan
(Redirected from Canoe Lake First Nation)
Canoe Narrows is a town in the boreal forest of northern Saskatchewan, Canada. It location is on Canoe Lake approximately thirty miles west of Beauval, within ancient hunting grounds of the Woodland Cree.
The population in 2011 was 716 people.
Bordering Canoe Narrows to the east is the village of Jans Bay with a population of 187. Bordering Canoe Narrows to the west is the village of Cole Bay with a population of 230.
Commercial fishing was the community's original means of support; however, fish populations have diminished somewhat since the late 1970s. The community has since turned to forestry as its main industry.
Canoe Lake First Nation
This town is the administrative headquarters of the Canoe Lake Cree First Nations band government and is affiliated with the Meadow Lake Tribal Council.
The registered population of the Canoe Lake Cree First Nation was 2217 on February, 2013. There were 982 members living on reserve and 1235 members living off reserve. The Canoe Lake Cree Nation has seven locations with three on Canoe Lake.